'I was desperate, I couldn't see a way out' - Mandzukic reflects on 'terrible' Juventus start

Mario Mandzukic has admitted that he felt "terrible" and "desperate" during his poor start to life at Juventus, insisting he had never before gone through such a bad spell in his career.

The Croat failed to score in any of his first five league games for Juve this season, though his start was disrupted by a muscle injury which kept him out for a month.

While the attacker improved towards the end of 2015, scoring six goals in as many Serie A matches, he says the impact of his underwhelming start had a massive impact on him mentally.

"I was playing bad and I got injured, and the infection struck me for a long time and I was weakened," he told Sportske Novosti.

"Sometimes I was awake all night thinking about what was going on, I was desperate because I could not see the way out, something that had never happened to me before in my career.

"I was not looking for excuses. I got an infection that affected me against Udinese in the first week of the season. I had to take antibiotics and the pain stuck with me for two months.

"I felt weak, not strong, then I got an injury against Genoa. It was a terrible time.

"Massimiliano Allegri coach helped me, had confidence in me and he insisted on me joining Juve - a very important factor in the decision for every player. It means a lot to me."

The striker joined the Bianconeri from Atletico Madrid in the close season and admits he has been impressed by the stature of the club, while he could not wait to link up with Gianluigi Buffon and Giorgio Chiellini.

"This club is an institution. I was fascinated by the reaction of the club and the team leaders in the training - with their discreet presence, no fuss, they just asked for the maximum commitment and the need to return to the levels that Juve want to reach.

"I had been in contact with Juventus before going to Bayern. I had great respect for the players before I arrived here.

"Buffon was my idol as a child, I had good battles with Chiellini and we always shook hands after matches between real men. No tears.

"I knew Juventus and this prompted me to accept the offer."
'I was desperate, I couldn't see a way out' - Mandzukic reflects on 'terrible' Juventus start 'I was desperate, I couldn't see a way out' - Mandzukic reflects on 'terrible' Juventus start Reviewed by Unknown on 12:42 PM Rating: 5

No comments:

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); z35W7z4v9z8w