Work Permit Delays Avram Grant's New Position As Portsmouth Manager


Red tape prevents Avram Grant from officially becoming Paul Hart's successor at Portsmouth, but the former Chelsea manager will still be able to boss the side when Premier League reigning champions Manchester Untied visit Fratton Park on Saturday.

The Israeli was appointed the new Pompey manager as he knew "the club, players and set-up so it was logical to make him manager," according to chief executive Peter Storrie.

However, Grant was keen to stress at a press conference today that it was never his intention to take over when he first returned to the south coast outfit in the director of football capacity he occupied earlier in the year.

"I came in as director of football," he told the press. "It is a very important position in clubs, not just here, but elsewhere. I came in as it was good for me, good for the club, and I'll do it again. [But] the board have taken the decision that I will now fulfil this role.

"We spoke about director of football and my contract was about being the director of football. Sometimes [in this industry], the results are the results, and for me, I came to [be manager in order to] help this club."

When pressed as to whether he would be Portsmouth's long-term boss, after a few seasons of managerial turmoil, Grant said:

"What is long-term in football? Tell me! You know in football what is it. I came here to do a good job… I love this club, I was here three years ago, it is a big club and deserves to be in the Premier League.

"We deserve to stay [in this division]," Grant reiterated.
Work Permit Delays Avram Grant's New Position As Portsmouth Manager Work Permit Delays Avram Grant's New Position As Portsmouth Manager Reviewed by Unknown on 5:42 PM Rating: 5

No comments:

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); z35W7z4v9z8w